Wednesday, December 26, 2007

JHS Golden Hurricane Marching Band

Yes, I was a band geek, but proud of it! Band was a very important part of my high school (and junior high) life. Most of my good friends were in the band and it allowed us to showcase our talent and have some of the best times I've ever had in my life. Whether on the bus or on the parking lot of the high school in 150 degree heat, we were having a ball. We all felt Hurricane pride when we marched in the various parades and gave our all in marching and symphonic competitions. We endured being called "the banana band" by other marching bands and sulked while we watched the band from Hope pull their equipment out of an 18-wheeler. I've tried to pinpoint my favorite band memory but there are too many. However, I would love to hear some of your favorite band memories!!

6 comments:

Charles Brinkley said...

I loved Band too! I didn't play my senior year but I missed it. My favorite memories were about how serious the drum line was. We had some teachers from Memphis State who worked with us. We had some great percussion solos. When I saw the movie Drum Line it reminded me of JHS. I also remember all the fun on the band trips. I still tell people that I played on the stage of the Grand Ole Opry (with Symphonic Band). I wish someone had some videos of us playing. Where is Walt Jones now?

Anonymous said...

I did not continue on in band when we left McArthur after 9th grade. But I sure remember the Jr high years. I will never forget the time we had a concert at JHS auditorium one evening. I was not at school that day due to illness and the concert was that evening. I could have sworn we were supposed to dress out in marching uniform and Mrs. Simpson dropped the uniforms and informed everyone in class that day not to dress out that evening at the concert. Well needless to say, I was not in class but was feeling much better that evening and went to the concert in full marching gear. I don't think I have ever been more embarrassed before or since then in my life than that moment when I walked into the JHS band room for warm-up in full marching gear and everyone was wearing dress clothes. Does anyone remember that?

Matthew Lewis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew Lewis said...

Give me a Silent!
Silent!
Give me a cheer!
Cheer!
Give me a silent cheer!
< everyone ways they white gloved hands in the air >

ahh good times!

Angie Stricklin Buhrmester said...

I forgot about the Silent Cheer! Great stuff!

Anonymous said...

Philip, I don't remember that at all! I do remember you were a good player. I remember having so much fun with my friends in the band that I had NO IDEA what was going on in the football game. Pretty sad! I remember we called the "flags" "fags". Sorry Angie--I love you and mean it! I remeber sitting next to John Bagnal who seemed to be perfect at everything. He would always cheer me on to do things I did not believe I could even do. And who could forget the band dances! I could go on and on but it may be too boring. OK, one more. How about band camp in Junior High at ASU! There were a few of us Jonesboro girls who rolled an entire floor of the dormitory while all the other campers were away. So much fun and we never got caught. Yes, good times!