Thursday, December 20, 2007

Big "J" Rocks The House!

The year was 1986 of our Junior year around Homecoming. Remember Spirit Week where we all got to dress up? Well, I remember the Juniors having a meeting in the auditorium and we discussed what we wanted to do as a class to show our "spirit". Instead of doing something "easy" like harassing the sophomores and dressing up like "nerds" and putting signs on us that said "proud to be a sophomore" like the seniors had done to us the year before; we decided to be unique (as always). Someone suggested we dress in the style of the "world's oldest profession and their managers" (can you tell I'm trying not to say the slang-words or what?). Instead of dogging on the sophomores, we decided to wear signs on us that said, "Proud to be a Senior!" and "Seniors for Hire!" I remember that some members of the class of 1987 got a "little" upset and ripped signs off some of the juniors. After that meeting in the auditorium I remember Caprice Lasley standing up and with two foot stomps and a clap starting a chant that spread throughout the room, with everyone yelling over and over, "Big Juniors Rock the House!" Anyone else remember this or am I the only one?

3 comments:

Charles Brinkley said...

I have no memory of this (and I think I would have remembered it!). I do remember the "Big J Rocks the House" cheer but not the costumes at all. Please tell me there are pictures!

Kevin Myatt said...

That sounds like Caprice. I was in school with her from the 1st grade all the way up, and I remember how she often would get to laughing so hard that she would start crying.

This event does ring a faint memory bell for me. This may be why the next year (our senior year) the dressing-up part of spirit week was seriously curtailed. There was an editorial in one of the papers decrying the sad state of Homecoming week our senior year.

Anonymous said...

Charles: If you look at your junior yearbook, there's a picture of Fran Johnson on the pay phone in the commons area and she's wearing an outfit from that day. The girls wore lots of makeup with frizzed out hair and mini skirts and the guys wore trenchcoats and sunglasses. If anyone has pictures send them in!

Kevin: I remember Caprice laughing until she cried too. She was so funny. I don't know if this event was what made our senior year spirit week so sad. I remember most of our teachers got a big kick out of it. Nobody got sent home that I remember.