Saturday, July 12, 2008

My Baby's Daddy


Sixteen Candles.....One of my favorite movies from my adolescent years. Everyone remembers that Claire falls in love with the cute, older, poplar guy.... Jake Ryan. He was so dreamy. Remember at the end when she walks out of the church and he is standing there with his arms crossed against the sports car? They kiss over the birthday cake.... he was so cute.

Fast forward to 2006 ,I'm pregnant and i just cant decide about the baby's name. I float the idea of Jake Ryan past my husband, miraculously he agrees. Mistakenly i just assume that he has watched Sixteen Candles 50 times the same as me and he knows about the dreamy Jake Ryan.

So its official... the baby is named. My husband is a proud father for the second time. He goes to work and shows off the pics. When the women down the hall ask the name he replies, Jake. Jake what they say. Jake Ryan. "OH MY GOSH, I love him and i love that name! He was my favorite." Now let me tell you it took me a good 2 months to convince my husband that in 2022 no 16 year old on the football/baseball/basketball team (they always think their boy will play it all) will know who the hell Jake Ryan on Sixteen Candles is. And Ill bet that if your a male that graduated in 1988 you don't either. But the girls.....they know.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great story, name AND post! Yes, every girl should remember Jake Ryan. I wonder whatever happened to that actor? By the way you have a beautiful little boy too!

Marcie

Anonymous said...

Just curious all you female classmates, who was your "Jake Ryan" when we were sophomores in high school? I'm assuming it was a senior but it could have been anyone. Any takers? You can use initials if you want. :-) Mine was LB or BW. Heh.

Marcie

Kevin Myatt said...

... uhhhhh, who was Jake Ryan? ... :-)

Angie Stricklin Buhrmester said...

I love the name Jake Ryan, Brooke! If your Jake Ryan turns out to be like the Jake Ryan in 16 Candles, your husband won't have anything to worry about!

My Jake Ryan, my sophmore year?? DF

Anonymous said...

Thanks Brooke for the great post...that really took me down memory lane at the Malco and I have to agree, "Sixteen Candles" definitely ranks in my top 5. There was something about Molly Ringwald's movies in the 80's I could relate to. From "Pretty in Pink" to "The Breakfast Club" her situations were all too real. I can still quote the infamous one liners....and yes, the dream of walking out of Church, looking up to see steamy dreamy...leaning against his red sports convertible, waving in the distance..."who me?" "yes, you!" oohhhahhhh I melt. Okay, enough of the gooey reminiscing of play-ground fantasies.

My 80's movie vote goes to "Dirty Dancing". I certainly was not a sweet daddy's girl nor did anyone ever refer to me as Baby but the thought of sneaking out to "Johnny's" (Patrick Swayze) bungalow for a little midnight dirty dancing was more exciting than leaning over a birthday cake and blowing candles. There was something intriguing about the "good girl" taming the "bad boy" on the dance floor.

High school was fun and I can honestly say..."I had the time of my life...and I owe it all to you...my friends!" Looking forward to a great reunion. Written by Blair Huckabee Dean

Brooke Keton Briske said...

Blair,

I totally forgot about Dirty Dancing... I remember watching both together multiple times... Your dad would always make popcorn with plenty of butter... its nice to have such great high school memories.. we are very lucky...

Brooke

Lioralourie said...

Hey girls.

I can't remember if I watched 16 Candles or not! Maybe so, but...

I am probably the only 38 year old on the planet who would not recognize "Jake Ryan" as a popular name, and I cannot picture his face whatsoever.

OK looking him up now. Just too curious.

Oh, him. Did nothing for me, then or now...

Now, Breakfast Club rocked. And Dirty Dancing (though I saw it like 10 years late) was awesome, too.

And I still LOVE 80's pop. Human League and Berlin and Soft Cell and ABC and Spandau Ballet any day. Oh, yeah, and Duran Duran. yowza.