Sunday, July 20, 2008

Friday Football Fun

Its 1985 and its Football Friday. I was on the JV Cheer leading squad. Marilyn Clayton, our sponsor, assigned each cheerleader a football senior whose locker you had to decorate. It was a thrill... super exciting... you actually got the key to get into their locker. You made posters and left them cookies... etc... what an ego trip. No wonder they had such an attitude. I had a super crush on the player that i was assigned.I remember when I would pass him in the hall he would acknowledge me, I would be rendered speechless, butterflies and everything. (You have to right? I mean he got cookies, and balloons, and posters)

When we would get to cheer the second half of the game with the varsity squad i would stare at him and hope that he too would be staring back. No such luck for me. Today i can picture his face but for the life of me not his name. Young crushes fade but the memories of Football Friday will live forever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep it up Brooke…you are on a roll! Your memory vessel must be huge…my high school memories are somewhere in there (cloud of dust) but it takes a little reminder to bring them to the top. After reading your blog I started craving those blueberry donut holes we would buy from the Donut shop on Flint/Nettleton (which is now closed)... I think it was “Country Boy Bakery”? Friday night Football was a lot of fun! BHD

Angie Stricklin Buhrmester said...

Oh the donut shop on Flint/Nettleton! Great cookies! Thanks for that memory Blair!