Saturday, July 12, 2008

Hurricane Pride

Yes I'm back! I was going to blog about favorite 80s movies and how much I loved "Sixteen Candles" but nothing I could say would top Brooke Keton's blog! So as I scrolled down some more, I saw the blog and comments that Coach Coleman was wanting the band to learn "Rock You Like A Hurricane" for Homecoming. Every time I hear that song, I think about high school. A friend of mine down here (in Hot Springs) has the Scorpion's Greatest Hits and plays that song frequently and every time he does, I sing it loud and think of dear old JHS. My daughter started school this year at Lake Hamilton and and friend of ours commented that I would have to start getting Lake Hamilton gear and wearing it to the football games. I went to a few of them this year because Brynna was a Little Steppinwolf and I must admit, it didn't seem like a hometown football game. (Shhh don't tell these people I said that!) I'm a Hurricane. Always have been. Always will be. You would think 20 years would diminish the pride you had in your school (especially when you went to college and became a Bison for three years) but the smallest things throw you back to that time when we were all carefree and cra-zee! So I was wondering what are some of the small things in life that stop and make you think about our fabulous three years at...JONESBORO HIGH!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

(I have to apologize because I reported the wrong song, William informed me. It's "Back in Black" he wants them to play because they are going back to black helmets like they had when we were there instead of the gold they've had for over 10 years.) But I'm going to tell Coleman that "Rock Me Like a Hurricane" is a great song that he should request if the band would play it.

Things that remind me of high school:

-Everytime I go to Sonic it makes me think about us going to "Happy Hour"
-Going down Nettleton on an errand reminds me of carefree "cruising" when gas was a decent price (and someone else paid for it)
-When I hear certain 80s songs it reminds me of certain classmates that you sang the song with at the "top of your lungs"

When William was Vice-Principal at JHS last year he had Mr. Province's old office. Now that was deja vu too! (Even though I never visited the office :-) )

Marcie

Angie Stricklin Buhrmester said...

Those were the days when I could cruise into the Citgo on Nettleton (by Sonic) and fill my take up and tell them to charge it to my Dad's account. Ahhhh the good old days. I also think of the first day of high school when every school year rolls around.
I do like the idea of them playing "Back in Black" but I'm afraid they would need play the song over the loudspeaker - these young kids have no idea who AC/DC are!

Anonymous said...

Girls, that song came out in 5th grade. I remember taking the single record to Mrs. ---Oh, whats her name! anyway, she let us bring music every friday to listen too while we were at shcool at Hillcrest! Go Hillcrest---why can I not remember much from High School? Oh Well. I do remember Angie, that your favorite band in Middle School/ Junior High was Duran Duran. I love "Back in Black". Its alright if the "kids" dont know who AD DC is!
Karen