Thursday, February 28, 2008

Remembering Jeff Meredith

(An unsigned tribute to Jeff Meredith appeared on Page 2, typically the opinion page, of the February 26, 1988, edition of the Golden Times. Jeff died on Feb. 6, 1988, after a long battle with cancer. Much of that tribute is reprinted below)

Jeff has been described by friends as sweet and “just an all-around nice guy,” but he was so much more than that. Jeff always had a wonderful smile that lit up his face for everyone. Though popular, he was never a snob. He was a fun person to be around. He was a friend – and a peacemaker – to many people. He was a very caring person, and even through his illness he continued to think of someone besides himself.

Jeff knew he was going to die, but he always wanted to know what he could do to help others. He would have done anything possible to relieve the pain and worry felt by those around him. He forgot his own physical suffering to comfort his family and friends who were suffering mentally.

Through his illness he demonstrated the rare courage to have faith and deal with his situation. He tried to live each day to the fullest. He was a Christian, and those around him could tell just because of his personality. It was his Christian faith that helped him get through the rough times; he placed his whole life in that belief. His faith was so strong that it even enabled others to deal with his cancer.

Jeff died at such a young age that it does not seem fair. But in the short time he was here, he touched so many lives in so many different ways. He believed he had a purpose for being born on Earth, and that once he accomplished that purpose, he died in peace. So, as hard as it may be, we should try not to be sad that Jeff is no longer with us. Instead we should be thankful for the times we shared with him, and remember them fondly.

Jeff is healed now. He wants us to remember him as he used to be, and let the good memories be a comfort to many in the future. No matter what, we will always have memories of Jeff, wearing his trademark baseball cap and a grin, clowning around at football games …

10 comments:

Kevin Myatt said...

I just want to add that I'm not altogether certain who wrote this essay, though I think it may have been Cathy Lackey Cathey, my co-editor. I know I did not write it and I didn't even really know Jeff, though reading this, I wish I had.

Angie Stricklin Buhrmester said...

I just remember how kind he was and how he loved to laugh.

Charles Brinkley said...

Thanks for including this. I can't remember who it was, but didn't his Graduation walking partner walk alone and there was a chair for him at Graduation? I remember at Football trip to Mountain Home with Jeff. He was a great guy and he touched so many with how he dealt with his illness.

steve smith said...

I remember going over to his house and trying to skateboard, I didn't last long, but Jeff gave it his all..

Anonymous said...

Thanks for adding this to the blog. I will never forget my best friend. We spent most of our lives together growing up next door to each other and then going to Jr.High and High School together. My first sleep over was at his house (which was just across my backyard), I was so nervous I snuck out and ran home after everyone was asleep. We went on first dates together, basicly we did almost everything together. He is still thought about and missed. You are right about making others feel better. Towards the end of his fight all he worried about was making others feel at easy. He was and always will be my closest friend.

Tracy said...

Jeff was so sweet. He was just a great guy. Even though I was class of '89, I remember being friends with Jeff from all the way back to MacArthur days. I think it's wonderful that you have included him on your class page.

Anonymous said...

I had the honor of Jeff being my walking partner at graduation. Yes, there was a seat beside me left open wrapped with gold and black ribbon. I carried his graduation cap with me and presented it to his parents after graduation. Jeff was an amazing guy...
Janet Stallings Bredensteiner

Angela O. said...

He was a great guy. Always nice to everyone.

Lioralourie said...

Doctors and the chemotherapy protocol killed Jeff, not cancer. Cancer is curable. There are thousands of people using alternative medicine to totally banish their cancers.

Google Abraham Cherrix. He is a teen who has NO signs of the Hodgkins lymphoma he was battling. He was in the media some because there was a court decision FORCING him to undergo chemotherapy again, even though it is HIS body and he did not want to undergo the sickness from the chemo again, rather, wanted to try something different.

Ever heard of Gerson cancer therapy? Probably not. Do you know it is illegal for your doctor to even utter those words? Why would that be?

Get on the web people, get proactive about your health and stop swallowing the bullshit your doctor spews!

If you want to consult, there are naturopaths, holistic healers, chiropractors & herbalists in Memphis, and Arkansas. The medical establishment is very good at fixing broken bones but for staying and getting healthy, they haven't a clue...except prescribing extremely expensive and often dangerous, unnatural, and toxic manmade chemicals for the big business of the Pharmaceutical industry. Take your lives into your own hands, get informed and get off the pills.

love,
Liora (Lourie)

Karen Lambert said...

Thankyou to everyone who shared a memory about Jeff. Even though we did not hang out in High School, I remember how fun he was to play with in Elementary school.