Monday, February 18, 2008

After School

I picked my daughter up from school today and while I was waiting, I watched from afar (the primary building is across the street from the high school) as the high school kids left the parking lot in their various vehicles. I tried to remember what I did when school was out for the day. I remember many times waiting in line at the light on Caraway and Main to turn left and talking to everyone in the other line. I'm SURE I went to band practice often during marching season.

As I watched these kids take off in utter happiness, I tried to recapture that feeling of freedom. No responsibility. No bills waiting on you in the mailbox. No kid in the backseat begging to go to Sonic for a Cherry-Vanilla Dr. Pepper. No briefcase full of work sitting next to you in the car. Just freedom.

How did you spend your free time after school was out for the day? Did you go to a job? Did you go straight to a pool in the summer months? Or the mall? What was your free time filled with during high school?

3 comments:

Matthew Lewis said...

Well I am not sure if I remember exactly what I used to do right after school lol. I do remember that in the fall there was band last period every day and we stayed late on Tuesday or Thursday not really sure which. Then one day we had to come back that night to practice on the field. I do remember that I had a job at the start of my senior year but my parents let me quit that so I could focus as much of my energy on school work. I was and still am not that great with school work.

Karen Lambert said...

What else could you do after school but maybe go to the mall and play games in the arcade! Opps, that was 7th grade. Gosh, I don't remember anything other than band after school either. In fact, I still have nightmares about not knowing my moves or the music. You know you can fake playing the music but not the moves!

Michelle Hall Anthony said...

Oh my soul Angie, I have not thought about what I did after school in so long. And when I do I can't believe it has been that long. If I was not going to band practice I was going to work at Pizza Inn on Gee St. After I turned 16 that was about all I did. Go to school, band and work. That is also when it seems like I lost touch with all my friends. Which makes me sad when I think about it. When I wait for Maddie to get off the bus. I watch those kids. Like you said no responsiblity, no worries just freedom. That is the hardest thing for Cody to learn right now. It seems like they have to grow up alot harder than we did. Sometimes I wish I could do it all over agin!