Monday, January 14, 2008

Hey Trendsetter!

Have any of you paid attention to the state of today's teenagers? The Seniors of today have morphed into one general-looking person. Most of the girls are rail-thin, have long hair, wear jeans that show some of their crackage and look like they are 25. The boys all have wind-swept hair and look like they've stepped out of an add for Old Navy (notice I didn't say Benetton, which ROCKED the 80s). I look back through our JHS yearbook and see wonderful individuals! Sure, the girls had crispy-sprayed big hair and wore tapered jeans and the guys wore ripped Levi 501s and thin cotton ties but we all had our own unique look.

What was a favorite outfit or look that you rocked in the 80s?? I think mine would have to be my faded Guess jeans (tapered, of course) that had an authentic rip which occurred in Madame Guillaume's French class. I had a lumberjack-ish flannel shirt (before Kurt Cobain made them stylish) and big, big hair! The outfit was completed with my black high-top Reeboks and white scrunch socks. Ah! Those were the days.

Now, lets hear from you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason this outfit sticks in my mind...ivory lace up ankle boots, scrunched down socks, faded jean skirt, untucked blue floral shirt, buttoned up with a cameo pin at the neck. I think I remember it because it was the first day of school junior year and I've still got the picture. I looked so Molly ringwald from ANY of her 80s movies.

I also remember a pair of acid washed jeans that I begged my mom to get me that had so many holes on the front of them it looked like I had been in a machine gun fight and lost.

Angie Stricklin Buhrmester said...

I was SO thinking Molly Ringwald in "Pretty in Pink". How funny!

Anonymous said...

Wow.. I actually have one of those teen aged boys you described!

As far as favorite outfits, I'm remebering plaid walking shorts with argyle socks up to the knees, penny loafers and a navy blue sweater over a white shirt with the collar out. Another a pink polo button down shirt with ahite turtle neck underneath, acid washed jeans, and of course every color of Converse high tops known to man.

Brooke Keton Briske said...

What about using the hair dryer and hair spray at the same time to get the sides to stick out really far and the bangs up really high... man if big hair would come back in... i would be styling... what about tight rolling the jeans... clinton and stacy (what not to wear) would just die.....

Angie Stricklin Buhrmester said...

I'm with you on the big hair!! If only that would come back around!
I forgot about tight rolling jeans!