Thursday, November 29, 2007

Danger! Death Cloud!

"That's the most dangerous thing that has ever happened at Jonesboro High School!" Those were the angry words spoken to me by none other than our beloved assistant principal Mr. Province. Even today, I vividly remember his bulging eyes, the vein threatening to pop on his perspiring forehead, and those red, irritated hands. God! Those red, irritated hands! Allow me to explain.

First though, introductions. My name is Stephen Hester, and I am whom Marcie was referring to in her previous blog post. As she mentioned, I was in a bunch of plays, had a minor role in a Bigfoot hoax (more on that later), co-founded the photography club (which we really wanted to call "The Potato Club") and wrote (until I was banned) for The Golden Times. However, I was also a photographer (until I was banned) for The Golden Times as well, which gets us back to my story.

As a photographer, I had access to the JHS darkroom, which is where we would develop the back & white photos for the newspaper. There was a particularly nasty chemical combination we used in the development process called "Stop Bath", which is made from highly concentrated acetic acid that was kept in a separate container in the darkroom. We photographers amused ourselves by constantly trying to trick others into inhaling deeply straight from the jug of acid. If successful, the subject would double over, coughing and hacking, saying things like, "I'm going to die." All in all, pretty funny.

On this particular day, Kevin Province (some relation to Mr. Province) was exercising his No. 2 right in the bathroom on the second floor next to the math department. Jay Melton and I thought this would be an excellent time to turn out the light in the bathroom and pour concentrated acetic acid all around the stall that Kevin currently occupied. As expected, he coughed and hacked and said he thought he was going to die. Again. All in all, pretty funny.

During the next period though, I was called to the Principal's Office. As I sat in the antechamber to that office, I noticed Principal Roger "Cold Fish Handshake" Callahan, Mr. Province and Mrs. Gaines sitting around a table with the now empty jug of acetic acid in the middle. Eventually Mr. Province emerged with the bulging eyes, popped-out vein and red, irritated hands -- red and irritated because he had spent the last thirty minutes on his knees cleaning the acid from the bathroom floor. He explained that the acid had mixed with the industrial strength, high-school-grade bathroom floor sanitizer/cleaner and formed a Death Cloud that was currently moving in an eastward direction at 3 mph down the math wing. Evacuation was being considered.

Needless to say, I was sent home in disgrace and subsequently banned for life from the JHS darkroom. My high school photography days were finished.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

STEPHEN! :-) I'm so glad you finally posted. I did not know this story at all or maybe my horrible memory forgets. You kids and your pranks—it's a wonder you didn't kill someone! :-) Looking forward to more posts and photos. —Marcie

Anonymous said...

Stephen,
I can't believe I never heard this story. What else did you do that we don't know about??
Janice

Stephen Hester said...

This happened around spring of our senior year. Since I had already been asked not to write anymore newspaper columns (a parent had complained after my very first one, which by the way, was *another* trip to visit Principal Roger Callahan) and I was now banned from the darkroom, I became the most useless newspaper staff member in the history of the newspaper. Sweet memories.

Kevin Myatt said...

It certainly reveals what a well-informed, totally in charge co-editor I was that it's only 19 years later that I learn you were banned from column writing (or perhaps I just forgot)

Great to have your humor back. As the rest of my newspaper posts for 1987-88 will show, it was sorely missed in the Golden Times.

Oh .. and remember that it was Rodger(with a "d") "Cold Fish Handshake" Callahan.

Angie Stricklin Buhrmester said...

How funny!!! I never knew about it. Good times, good times!

Anonymous said...

Stephen,

The story that I heard in 1988 was that you tried to "blow up a toilet" in the second floor bathroom on the math wing. I never imagined that there was so much more to it! I trust you have moved on to DIGITAL photograpy now.

Ashley(Thompson)Day

Stephen Hester said...

Yes, I just do digital photography now; it is not as easy to be evil using just a gaussian blur effect though.

Anonymous said...

Good God, I am still laughing!